The design for the Video Music Awards 2017 is the 26th design by UK based STUFISH for the MTV network – and the 3rd Video Music Awards (VMA). The show is a fantastic collaboration with MTV‘s creative team and STUFISH.
• The VMAs return to The LA Forum with the largest MTV VMA show yet, and that includes the gargantuan STUFISH set design, filling the arena floor and sky space with scenery to create a fully immersive environment.
• The design developed from the concept of creating a transformative and intimate environment in the LA Forum. By using metallic and mirrored surfaces, the set reflects and multiplies the performers and audience to create a continual visual language throughout the room.
• The STUFISH set is 60m at its widest and 15m high, creating a landscape that expands the full length of the arena, connecting all levels from the very top down into the bottom of the arena bowl.
• It took 2 weeks to load in the full set into The Forum, for this amazing one night only VMAs on Sunday 27 August 2017.
• Fabricated by 4 different LA scenery companies, the multi-levelled silver textured set creates a folded origami mirrored and metallic landscape. It wraps a series of catwalks and stages, merging the audience and talent together at every turn. The floor is made from white & black shiny laminate.
• STUFISH has designed 2 large main performance stages 12m x 12m each, 2 smaller performer stages 10m x 7m and 2 catwalk stage areas 20m x 4m – each with its own identity, with different backgrounds, videos, scenes, floor finishes and lighting formations, to accommodate the largest number of live performances that the VMAs have ever had.
• 15m above the audience hangs a massive scenic canopy of 18 large triangular facets varying in size up to 14m long & 5m wide - filling the sky space with scenery, incorporating lighting + sound.
• The landscape of the room is delineated with a total of over 2500m of LED lines which contain over 100,000 individual LEDs that can be programmed to chase, flash and change to any colour. There are thousands more in the video screens and in the LED screen floor areas.
• There are over 20 cameras and a fully 3D automated spider camera system built into the set, to capture the amazing show, huge set and energy of the audience from every angle.
• With all the amazing talent performing on the night, the stage has integrated performer flying, bungee, flying tracks, flying scenery, fire, rain and smoke – in preparation for the acts delivering their exclusive and unbelievable performances on the night!